Personal tools

Return to Top
DNRC Headquarters
1539 Eleventh Ave. Helena, MT 59601
Questions? Email us

2022 Flood-Recovery Resources

 Yellowstone River near path

Are You Experiencing Flooding?

The DNRC provides financial support in form of grants and loans, issues permits, and provides many other resources for Montanans who are affected by flooding. This page serves as a one-stop-shop for all DNRC information related to the flood events of June 2022.



FUNDING for Flood-Recovery Activities

Click the headings below for more information.

Grant and Loan Information and Availability


Flooding Grant and Loan Resources - PDF/Print Version





Award Amount


ARPA Water & Sewer Minimum Allocation Grants

Make necessary investments in water and sewer infrastructure projects.

Certain cities, towns, and counties can apply.

Variable – use the Minimum Allocation Dashboard to look up a community’s allocation amount.

Applications due November 1, 2022. Local governments may submit applications online at

ARPA Flood Response Irrigation Grants

Make necessary investments in water and sewer infrastructure projects. Prioritize funds to respond to flooding damage to irrigation infrastructure. 

Local Governments: cities, towns, counties, tribes, conservation districts, irrigation districts, school districts and water users' associations.

Up to $250,000

Applications open August 1, 2022. Grants will be awarded first-come, first-served for eligible projects.  Local governments may submit applications online at

Emergency Grants

Emergency projects that will cause substantial damages or legal liability to the entity seeking assistance. 

State, local, & Tribal governments

As determined by need. Typically less than $30,000.

Apply anytime.
Contact: David Larson, 406-444-2951,

Grants To Private Entities

Projects that conserve, manage, develop or protect Montana’s water resources.

Individuals, associations, or corporations 

25% of the project cost, up to $5,000.

Apply anytime.

Applications available at


Reclamation And Development Planning Grants

Planning efforts for projects that are eligible for Reclamation and Development program grants.

State, local & Tribal governments

Up to $50,000 per planning project.

Application cycles ongoing.

Contact: Jorri Dyer, 406-444-6839, 

Private Water Development Loans

Water development projects such as upgrading irrigation systems and developing rural water supplies.

Individuals, partnerships & associations

Up to $400,000.

Apply anytime.

Renewable Resource Loans To Public Entities & Emergency Loans

Low interest loans for projects that conserve, manage, develop or protect Montana's renewable resources are eligible for funding.

State, local, & Tribal governments

Up to the ability to repay the loan

Contact: Lindsay Volpe,

State Revolving Fund Loans

Fund activities that protect water quality through wastewater and drinking water system improvements

Local governments & water and sewer districts

Up to the ability to repay the loan.

Apply anytime. 

DEQ SRF Programs

Rangeland Improvement Loans

Develop and improve private rangeland to benefit natural resources.  Typical projects include fencing, seeding, & stock water supply

Private landowner

Up to $75,000 at 1.5% interest for 10 years.

Apply anytime.

Contact: Stacey Barta, (406) 594-8481,


Grant and Loan Contact Information


American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Water & Sewer Infrastructure Grants

Reclamation and Development Project/Planning Grants and Watershed Management Grants

Renewable Resource Project/Planning Grants or Loans

Renewable Resource Private Grants

Emergency Grants

Rangeland Improvement Loans

Renewable Resource Private Loans

Conservation Districts Program Manager

Resource Development Bureau Chief



PERMITTING for Flood-Recovery Activities

Click the headings below for more information.

General Floodplain and National Flood Insurance Program Information

What is a floodplain?

A floodplain is an area of low-lying ground, that may be adjacent to a river or water body, and is subject to flooding. 

Local floodplain regulations usually refer to mapped or designated floodplains and reference specific floodplain maps. Mapped floodplains are generally the portion of the floodplain that have a 1% chance of flooding annually. These areas are also referenced as the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) or the Regulated Flood Hazard Area (RFHA). 


Floodplain Maps: Are you in a Mapped Floodplain? 

FEMA’s National Flood Hazard Layer

Mapped floodplains are used to identify flood risk and the jurisdictional areas for floodplain regulations. Your local floodplain administrator is available to talk with you about the mapped floodplain in your area. Mapped floodplains can be viewed online with FEMA’s National Flood Hazard Layer visual tool. If you are unsure whether you are in the mapped floodplain, or how to proceed with submitting a floodplain permit, start by having a conversation with your local floodplain administrator.


National Flood Insurance Program

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) was established to reduce flood losses, offer flood insurance, minimize the impact of floods on human safety, health, and welfare and to restore and preserve the natural beneficial functions of floodplains. The NFIP is a voluntary program that is between the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the local community. 

NFIP-participating communities have adopted local floodplain regulations that meet both the federal and state floodplain requirements and standards. The program is administered at the local level. All new development and permitting goes through the local floodplain administrators. 


Floodplain Permitting and Contact Information

Floodplain permitting is handled at the local level. See below for information on the permitting process and local contacts. Property owners should reach out to their community's local floodplain administrator before performing any work in a mapped floodplain. Use FEMA's National Flood Hazard Layer to see if your property is in a mapped floodplain.

Floodplain Permitting Forms and Guides

  1. Montana Joint Application for Stream Permitting (PDF-version available here) and Form InstructionsMost communities use the Joint Application for floodplain permit application submittals. The Joint Application is a standardized application that property owners can use to apply for numerous development work in and around streams and floodplains. The Instructions provide comprehensive guidance on what sections are relevant based on the type and location of work proposed. 
  2. Submittal Requirements for Floodplain Permit Applications: If working in the floodplain, additional information may be required. This is a helpful guide to the additional requirements that you may need to meet when submitting a floodplain permit to your community. 


Local Contacts: Find Information about Floodplain Permitting in your Community

Below are the points of contact for property owners to connect with their local floodplain managers. These local contacts can help guide property owners through the permitting process.


Lawson Moorman

(406) 222-4102

414 E Callender Street Livingston, MT 59047


Jim Woodhull

(406) 222-4903

330 Bennett Street Livingston, MT 59047


Stephanie Ray

(406) 322-8055

Physical: 431 Quarry St, Columbus, MT 59019

Mailing: PO Box 1276 Columbus, MT 59019


Page Dringman

(406) 932-5470

PO Box 1256 Big Timber, MT 59011


Lacey Breding and Tim Nottingham

(406) 668-7383

Physical: 118 W River St, Fromberg, MT 59029

Mailing: PO Box 236 Fromberg, MT 59029


Courtney Long

(406) 446-1606

Physical: 2 Platt Ave N, Red Lodge, MT 59068

Mailing: PO Box 9 Red Lodge, MT 59068


Erik Mack

(406) 751-8200

Physical:  1035 First Ave West, Kalispell, MT 59901


Susan Nicosia


Physical:  130 6th Street West, Columbia Falls, MT  59912


Darin Swenson and Tim Miller or

(406) 256-2735



310 and Other Stream Permits

If you are planning to do work on or near a waterway in Montana, one or several permits may be required. Conservation districts, along with participating agencies, created a Joint Application Form to help reduce the number of application forms that you need to complete to get your permits. We hope that in addition to reducing paperwork, the use of the form will increase coordination and streamline the permitting process.
For detailed instructions on stream permitting please read the STREAM PERMITTING BOOK or visit DNRC's Stream Permitting Page.
Point of Diversion Resources

Use the form below if flooding has washed out or rendered a surface water point of diversion unusable, and a replacement point of diversion is needed. The DNRC intends to waive the fee for this change application ($400) within the flood-affected areas. The form allows water users to complete the replacement point of diversion and then file the application within 60 days of completion. 


Water Well Resources

Replacement Well Notice (Form 634)

The DNRC will waive fee ($100) for flooding areas in 2022 where wells were damaged beyond repair or are being abandoned and replaced due to flooding. Applicants must meet all requirements of the form (including well abandonment) to be able to file. Replacement wells must be completed during the 2022 calendar year in order for the filing fee to be waived.

Forms and Contacts



Additional Flood-Recovery Resources

Click below for more information.